Alas, it’s finally time to start packing up your sweaters and whipping out your shorts – but don’t put away all of your winter wear just yet. Thanks to Phoenix’s beautiful weather, you can still wear some of your winter garb all the way through spring time.
With a few subtractions from your wardrobe, there are plenty of ways to make sure you’re still getting good use out of those winter cardigans and boots too.
Start with one of the simplest ways to transform your winter wardrobe into a spring-friendly look: your cardigan. This season it’s still all about layering so replace your normal winter garments with dresses and skirts and add a sweater over top (with a belt to cinch the waist and add more style if you like) to give you the perfect mix for our warm spring days and cooler spring nights.
It wont stay cold enough for bulky jackets but another spring style we can keep in our closets are blazers. You can channel this season’s stylish looks by sporting a blazer over anything from a basic tank and jeans to dressing up a flirty, fun dress. A blazer is a great option over a silk camisole, basic tank or fitted tee, adding structure and a little extra warmth when needed. You can even wear it over one of this spring’s hottest trends, bold prints (and if you’re into fashion statements, you can wear a bold printed blazer to really stand out). Don’t be afraid to go all out with your blazer look either, as short suits are also in style this spring.
Next up, a vest. Simple yet chic, a cute vest can add a touch of structure to any wardrobe without adding much warmth on days with rising temperatures. Add them over your blouses, dresses, tank tops, button-ups, and tees during the hotter days and under a cardigan or blazer for the chillier days.
If there’s one thing that screams winter, it’s definitely your shoes, but even they can transition into spring. Boots and closed-toed pumps are classic winter choices that can be paired with shorts, skirts and dresses for a more temperature-appropriate look. The past few seasons have held combat boots in trend, which still look great with shorts and tee shirts (and a blazer for extra flare) for an easy transition into spring.
With these simple tricks your winter wardrobe will be ready for spring in no time; but here are a few more to make your spring fashion pop even more:
• Keep your light scarves. While the bulkier ones will need to be packed away for a while, the lighter scarves still add a stylist touch to your spring outfits. Brighter colors also add an automatic sense of springtime fashion.
• Show some leg! You’ll notice the running theme was “with shorts, dresses or skirts.” This alone will add a spring vibe to your wardrobe, keeping you cool during the warm days and allowing you to break free from “winter white leg.”
• Accessorize. Tribal prints and stacked bracelets were huge this past fall and winter, and luckily it’s a strong spring trend too. You can incorporate the tribal print into just about any accessory, from shoes and clutches to bangles and necklaces.
• Add color. White is a hot trend for this spring, especially in the accessories department, but pastels, pinks, florals and even metallics are still standing strong.
• Have fun! Don’t be afraid to mix and match your favorite pieces to create a look that works well for you. The temps wont hit the 110s+ until summer so you still have some room for fun.
About Ashley LaRae
Ashley LaRae, Founder/Creative Director of StylePHX.com, is a wardrobe stylist who has toured with musicians such as Jay-Z, Kanye West, Keyshia Cole and The Dream as well as working with professional athletes, designers, photographers, magazines, independent films, commercials, fashion shows and books. You can follow her on Twitter at @Ash_StylePHX and contact her at Ashley@StylePHX.com for fashion questions and tips.